Magazia is a small hamlet tucked away in olive groves between Gaios and Lakka approximately 4 km northwest from Gaios. In earlier times, pirates frequently visited the coastal villages and it was too dangerous to there, Magazia was the islands little capital. The village has taken its name from ΜΑΓΑΖΙΑ, the Greek word for shops as there used to be several wineshops at the Plateia.
Today the little hamlet is a place where it seems as if time stood still and the visitor will find the "real Greece". The village has two mini markets, a taverna, a small bar/kafenion and a bakery. There is just one road that links Gaios and Lakka and the beaches on the west coast. Walkers will love it; a network of paths through the olive groves lead to the lovely church of Ag. Apostoli, to the western cliffs and the famous cliffs of Eremitis with the famous gorgeous sunset.
Recently three graves dating from pre 600AD have been found here. Outside the village there is an olive press museum. Built in 1865, the press was in use until 1960. Having been restored in recent years, the olive press museum now makes for an interesting excursion. There are oil lamps, old tools used for collecting olives (a speciality on Paxos) and pots and pans. It provides a good insight into how people lived in the early days on Paxos. Opening hours are: 11.00 - 14.00 and it is possible to buy some of the local produce here.
Magazia has no hotels or appartments but there are some private villas for rent.